Happy Friday! After a long week of studying and a crazy morning dealing with internet issues, I am very grateful for a weekend of rest and sunshine and reading and cooking some of these summer gems.
- Sprouts and Tips for Gardening // I somehow managed to have actual edible food growing in my backyard this year. These tips are great for anyone else just starting out with gardening.
- Fruitful Summer // One of my goals this season is to focus my time to relax, enjoy, and celebrate all that summer has to offer. This guide is a great way to get started, as well as this collection of products.
- Vegetarian on a Budget // I hear this complaint all the time, but it’s not true! This post has terrific suggestions for eating well without breaking the bank.
- Distance Dietetics Programs // For those of you interested in pursuing a career change like I did, this is a great overview of options, including the DDP route I took.
- Summer Running Team // If you’re interested in starting to run or have a goal race in mind, don’t do it alone! I am so excited my rockstar running friend, Brittany, is starting a team at her gym. If you are in Austin, come check it out with me!
- Spiralized Sesame Noodle Salad by Eat Spin Run Repeat // Raw, fresh recipes are my weakness in the summer.
- Strawberry Basil Smoothie by Nutrition Stripped // I have SO MUCH BASIL growing in my backyard, so of course this will be on repeat after sweaty runs every morning.
- Coconut and Rainbow Chard Baked Sweet Potatoes by The Kitchn // If I am going to cook in the summer its got to be easy. This is a terrific option for an easy, quick meal.
- Chocolate Cherry Smoothie by The Simple Veganista // Perfect for breakfast, snack, or a sweet treat.
- Blueberry Coconut Popsicles by Beaming Baker // Summer + Berries + Popsicles = Perfection. (Plus maybe a pool 🙂 .)
Have a refreshing weekend!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. Purchases from these links may result in a small commission used to support neatandnutritious.com.
Happy First Day of Summer! While Summer is probably my least favorite season, its arrival coincides with Birthday Month and ushers in a season of delicious produce, which are two of my favorite things. And June probably is my absolute favorite month so far for colorful, flavorful, and varied CSA treats. My goal for this week’s menu was to fit all these colorful summertime favorites into delicious go-to recipes, so that I could celebrate the only way I know – through food!
- green beans
- bell peppers
- Peel, dice, chop, and julienne all veggies.
- Batch cook quinoa to bulk up meals.
- Press tofu, and premake sauce for noodle bowl.
- Monday: Thai Noodle Bowls with Almond Butter Tofu
- Tuesday: Roasted Summer Veggie Gratin with quinoa
- Wednesday: Cucumber, Melon, and Avocado salad with leftover Almond Butter Tofu
- Thursday: Golden Thai Curry with Green Beans and quinoa
- Friday: Salad with leftover diced veggies and balsamic vinegar
Lunches: This week’s menu will make delicious leftovers for quick lunches.
Breakfasts: Matcha smoothie bowls after sweaty, humid runs will be a must.
Have a delicious, summer filled week!
After moving into our house last year, I knew I really wanted to eventually build a vegetable garden in the backyard. My track record with growing things in Texas is not the best, so I held off until a friend offered to give me a few cucumber seedlings a few months ago. The next weekend, we built them a home, added a few pepper and basil seeds and hoped for the best. Even with general neglect recently due to travel, I went outside yesterday and discovered I actually have cucumbers growing! And tons and tons of basil. This summer is going to be full of pesto and avocado pasta. And this salad. Sweet and tart and magically tasting of summer, thanks to copious amounts of herby goodness.
Blueberry Basil Kale Salad
Sweet and tart and refreshing, this salad magically tastes of summer thanks to copious amounts of basil. Ideal as a side at a picnic or cookout or as a light yet filling lunch.
4 c baby kale
1 small avocado
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 c blueberries
1 small cucumber, diced
1/2 quinoa, cooked
1/4 c pecans, toasted
1/4 c fresh basil, torn
Rinse kale and tear into bite sized pieces. Add 1/2 avocado, lemon juice, and salt and toss to combine.
Add blueberries, cucumber, remaining avocado, and cooked and cooled quinoa and green beans. Toss to combine. Top with toasted pecans and basil.
Copyright 2016 Neat & Nutritious.
Per serving: 424 calories, 59 g carbs, 26 g fat, 11 g protein, 192 mg sodium, 12 g sugar