Another year of the Austin Distance Challenge kicked off this past weekend with the Run Free Texas 80’s 8k. This was the first year I’ve run this race, and I very not-smartly never looked at the elevation map beforehand. And apparently Cedar Park is HILLY. I still somehow managed to squeak out an almost 5 minute PR with a 44:29 finish.
Looking back on year 1 of the ADC, I was still so new to running. I have come so far since that first race. I am really excited to see the continued growth from race to race as this season’s challenge progresses.
Lessons learned so far:
- Running with friends is always better. They push you past everything you thought you could do.
- Even after hardly running the week of the race, I have so much more endurance and strength than I thought I did. Years of continual running really does reap benefits.
- I don’t always need music. This has been huge for me, since I used to rely on it so much.
- Hills really do make you stronger.
- Neon really does make you faster.
Race #2 coming up in a month!