And I’m back. With another post about Mexican food. And another recipe. I just cannot help myself. It’s cheap, easy, nutritious, and delicious.
I love this recipe. It’s full of complete proteins, complex carbs, and healthy fats. The quinoa veggie salad can also be enjoyed on its own, with salsa and tortilla chips to scoop up the protein-rich goodness.
Quinoa Salad Tacos
- 1/4 c quinoa
- 1 c pinto beans (or kidney or black beans)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 c frozen corn
- 3 baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 small avocado
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cilantro, divided
- salt, to taste
- Mmmm sauce (optional)*
- 8 spelt tortillas (or tortillas of choice)
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly. Add to saucepan with 1 c water. Bring to a boil, reduce head and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, remove from heat, and let sit, covered until ready to serve.
- Heat skillet with 1 T oil. Saute onion until soft. Add mushrooms, cumin, and 1 tsp cilantro. Cook for 5 – 10 min, until mushrooms are softened.
- Add frozen corn and beans. Stir to combine, and let heat through for another 5 minutes.
- Mash avocado with remaining 1 tsp cilantro and salt to taste.
- Fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer to serving bowl. Add lime juice and bean/veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread a tortilla with 1 T mmm sauce. Top with 1/3 c quinoa mixture, salsa, and avocado. Roll up tortilla and enjoy!
*Side note: Mmmm sauce is the best stuff ever. I swap chili powder or Penzey’s Arizona seasoning for the curry powder when I make it. It’s amazing on everything. Make a double batch and freeze a jar. Otherwise, you’ll be making it all the time. It’s that good.