In my dairy and egg-eating days, I was never a fan of mayonnaise or mayo-based salads. But mashed chickpea salads? Oh yeah. This salad doesn’t mimic the classic tuna salad or egg salad the way other chickpea variations do. Instead of the mayo, avocado lends creaminess. Celery and snap peas add crunch, and pistachios give a little texture. And the artichoke takes it over the top. It’s almost a cross between a classic chickpea salad and a thick artichoke dip. Delicious as a snack or a meal, a sandwich or a straight up salad, this is a must make Spring staple.
Artichoke Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 c cooked artichoke hearts
- 1 1/2 c cooked chickpeas (about 1 16 oz can)
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 c sugar snap peas, diced
- 1/2 c celery, diced
- 1/4 c pistachios, toasted and chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Combine artichoke hearts and chickpeas in a food processor and blend until mashed but still a little chunky. Add avocado and pulse until blended.
- Add peas, walnuts, lemon juice, and spices and pulse a few more times to combine.
- Serve over lettuce cups, with rice crackers, or as a sandwich.
Per serving (for 4): kcal, 26 g carbs, 10 g fat, 9 g protein, 831 mg sodium, 5 g sugar