Any time there is a group function with food, be it a potluck, a side to a friend’s house for dinner, a Friends-giving feast, I bring salad. Mostly because its easy; I know it can be the one food I can eat when I am unsure of the full menu or I am eating with omnivores. And over time, I’ve become known as the salad girl. Everyone knows I’ll bring salad. And it won’t be your ordinary bagged salad and bottled dressing.
For this year’s Friends-giving feast, I started with my CSA share. I had so much lettuce, I was very happy to be needing to make a huge salad this week. Add some shredded cabbage, carrots, and apples, and most of this week’s box was used up!
This salad is a perfect side for any Thanksgiving table or as a weekday meal. Sweet, roasted squash; raw, crispy apples; a little protein and texture from hemp seeds and hazelnuts. And tart cranberries to round it out. This whole salad was nearly gone by night’s end, the one food we were all going back for seconds on. Not too often a salad can do that!
- 1 delicata squash
- 4 c mixed greens
- 4 c cabbage, shredded (or Brussels sprouts)
- 1 c carrot, grated
- 1 medium apples, sliced thin
- 3 T hemp seeds
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1/3 c toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/3 c red onion, diced
- 4 T fig balsamic vinegar
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Slice squash into rings, and cut each ring in half to make half moons that are about 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay out squash pieces on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes or until squash is soft and golden.
- Toss greens, cabbage, carrot, apple, hemp seeds, cranberries, hazelnuts, and onion together in a large serving bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, oil, salt and pepper.
- When squash is done, remove from oven and let cool slightly. Place slices on top of salad.
- When ready to serve, drizzle salad with dressing and toss to combine.
Per serving (4): 370 kcal, 33 g carbs, 23 g fat, 7 g protein, 185 mg sodium, 22 g sugar