Happy New Year! After all the holiday indulgences and travels, its been nice to be home, running, drinking all the veggies in my csa delivery, and getting back in to a normal routine. At least for a couple weeks until travel season kicks back in.
I love new years. Fresh starts. Clean slates. Looking back on last year’s goals, I’m proud of all I accomplished and am looking forward to my one big goal of 2013: running my second marathon. After putting off the first two of four scheduled runs, this weekend I finally tacked 20 miles. Needless to say, I was starving afterwards. Time for a carb and protein heavy recovery meal!
Spaghetti with Chickpea Bolognese
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c white onion, diced
- 1 c mushrooms
- 1 c kale
- 1 1/2 c chickpeas
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flake
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 c marinara sauce
- 1 box whole wheat spaghetti
- nutritional yeast, for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add diced onion and let cook until translucent.
- Meanwhile, boil water in a stockpot and cook spaghetti, 8 minutes or until al dente.
- Finely dice mushrooms, kale, and chickpeas. Add to skillet along with herbs and pepper flake and stir to combine. Let simmer 10 minutes so veggies cook down and flavors meld.
- Add marinara sauce and continue to simmer until bubbling.
- Serve over pasta and top with nutritional yeast.