There are four or five baked goods that my mom always makes at Christmas. Having grown up with these transitions, it is never Christmas until all these delicious treats are made each year. One of my favorites is cranberry bread. Mom always makes fabulous quick breads, but cranberry bread only makes an appearance at Christmas time.
Today I was really craving the crumbly, tart yet sweet bread. So I found her recipe and got to work with a few vegan changes. Thankfully, it came out just as good as the original. 🙂
- 2 c spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 c sucanat
- 1 flax egg (1 T ground flax-seed mixed with 3 T cold water)
- 3/4 c orange juice
- 2 T coconut oil, cold
- 2 c fresh cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 c almonds, chopped
- 1/2 c pistachios, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl or stand mixer. Add sucanat and mix well.
- Stir in orange juice, coconut oil, and flax egg. Combine well. Batter will be wet.
- Fold in cranberries and nuts.
- Pour into one loaf pan and bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
Variations: This recipe can also make 4 mini loaves or 12 muffins. Cook time for muffins will only be 20 minutes.
Gluten Free Option: Swap spelt flour for 1 c gluten free all purpose mix + 1/2 c almond meal + 1/2 c oat flour
Per serving (1/12 loaf): 214 calories, 35 g carbohydrate, 7 g fat, 5 g protein, 261 mg sodium, 19 g sugar