Christmas is the time for sugar overdoses, hearty meals, lots of snacking. To balance all the richness and sweetness, I always end up with kale. There’s something about a kale salad that makes it the perfect detox food, filling lunch, and dinner side all at the same time. And this one is perfect for your Christmas menu. Or New Year’s. Or whenever. Bitter, peppery radicchio balances the sweet citrus perfectly, and the burst of pomegranate and hazelnut crunch in each bite puts it over the top.
Kale Salad with Radicchio and Citrus
Serves 2 as a meal, 4 as a side
- 2 small oranges
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 c radicchio, shredded
- 2 c kale, shredded
- 1 c carrot, grated
- 1 c broccoli, finely chopped
- 1/4 c hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 1/4 c pomegranate arils
- Peel oranges, cut out segments, and place fruit in a small bowl. Squeeze remaining juice into a separate, large bowl.
- Add olive oil, lime juice, sea salt, and pepper to orange juice and whisk together.
- Add radicchio and kale to dressing and massage until thoroughly combined.
- Add remaining ingredients, and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or store in fridge for 2 – 24 hours to let flavors meld and lettuce to slightly wilt.
Per serving (2): 317 kcal, 37 g carbs, 18 g fat, 8 g protein, 649 mg sodium, 16 g sugar