Happy Monday! Since we are at the end of the month, and weekly menus are still consisting of Hello Fresh boxes, I thought I’d share a bonus Monday recipe that’s been on repeat this past month.
My go-to favorite oatmeal in the winter is creamy pumpkin steel cut oats topped with drippy creamy peanut butter. But once the holidays are over and pumpkin becomes harder to find, the thought of boring plain oatmeal is just not as appealing. This variation came about as I was thinking toward Spring and muffins and smoothies and warmer weather breakfast options. However, I still wanted the creamy, heartiness of oatmeal.
This morning glory oatmeal combines the classic flavors of carrots, coconut, dried fruit, and nuts with the comforting homeyness of chewy steel cut oats. Perfect through the wintery cold months or anytime of year you are craving a bowl of oats.
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter
- 1 1/2 c steel cut oats
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 c unsweetened almond milk
- 2 c water
- 1 c carrots, shredded
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/4 c walnuts
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add vegan butter and let melt. Add oats and toast, stirring until well coated in the butter and starting to brown.
- Add coconut sugar, applesauce, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and stir to combine.
- Slowly add almond milk and water, 1 cup at a time, stirring to mix in as you pour.
- Stir in carrots, raisins, and walnuts. Let simmer over medium-low heat until all liquid is absorbed and oatmeal is thick, about 20 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with toppings of choice (Extra nuts, raisins, or nut butter is always recommended!)
Per serving: 330 calories, 54 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat, 9 g sugar, 120 mg sodium, 18 g sugar