Dinners this week were each a big cooking FAIL. Except maybe the polenta pizza. The husband did not like it but the company we had over did – so maybe a half-success?
This is the first Saturday in a while where I have not had plans all day. And I was craving pancakes, so after my run, green monster, and shower, I made something I knew would come out right!
I’ve made these pancakes 4 or 5 times and they are EASY and PERFECT each time. This morning I contemplated mixing up a batch of the dry ingredients so next time I can just add the almond milk and go. These definitely made me feel better after my unsuccessful attempts at food during the week.
Buckwheat Pancakes with Berries (and Chocolate!)
Adapted from Vegetarian Times, May-June 2010
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c buckwheat flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 3 T sucanat
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 c almond milk (or any non-dairy milk) + an extra Tbsp or two
- coconut oil for cooking
- Toppings of choice
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat evenly with coconut oil.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add almond milk 1/2 cup at a time. Once batter is mixed you may need to whisk in another tablespoon if it is still too thick.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto skillet/griddle. Add any mix-ins of choice (I recommend blueberries, the husband recommends chocolate chips).
- Flip when ready. Cook about another minute and plate. Top with desired toppings.
The combination of the buckwheat and the fruit is delicious. Especially when eaten outside. 🙂
Now it’s time for meal planning for next week and then an attempt at buckwheat granola bars!