My mother wanted me to cook with her when I came to visit after Christmas, and we’ve had a lot of fun in the kitchen already. This evening she had to work late, so I was in charge of dinner for myself, my dad, grandpa, and the husband. The fun part was deciding what to make: I had to utilize what was available in the kitchen and had to satisfy 3 omnivores. The pasta sauce that was created was a definite hit for everyone! And when mom came home from work, I got to make her a fresh, hot bowl of pasta. 🙂
Protein Packed Pasta Sauce
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 16 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 small sweet yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 T tomato, garlic, and herb seasoning ( I used Mrs. Dash)
- 1 tsp honey or agave nectar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- pasta for serving ( I used bow-tie pasta which worked great)
- Heat 1 T oil in a large pot. Dice onion, carrot, and celery and saute until soft.
- Puree vegetables and kidney beans in a blender until smooth. Add a splash of water or vegetable stock, if necessary. (If you don’t want to puree the veggies or do not have a blender, you can leave the sauce chunky and mash the beans with a fork and some water before adding back to the pot.)
- Add pureed mix back into pot and add whole tomatoes and sauce. Add remaining oil, spices, salt, and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes until flavors meld. Mash whole tomatoes to create a chunky sauce.
- Drizzle in the honey or agave nectar. Stir and add extra seasonings as needed, to taste.
- Serve over pasta.
It was nice to cook for more than 2 people for a change! Although measuring out portions was much harder. And I definitely liked the challenge of cooking from a fixed set of ingredients. I’ll have to try that more often at home. 🙂