Ever since discovering Field Roast’s new Chao cheeses, I have been wanting to make all the things that ooey, gooey cheese is perfect on. This is hands down the best melty, creamy vegan cheese I have tried, and it opens up a whole world of new comfort food variations. Like this quesadilla. A perfect lunch or afternoon snack, the roasted broccolini adds smoky flavor and texture, and the balsamic reduction makes it feel like a gourmet treat.
Roasted Broccolini and Balsamic Quesadillas
- 1/2 c broccolini
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 c diced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 slices Chao vegan cheese (original or coconut herb)
- 2 tortillas
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Toss broccolini with 1 tsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a skillet. Saute onions and garlic until soft. Remove from pan.
- Heat 1 tortilla in same pan. Layer 1/2 cheese, then 1/2 onion mixture, then 1/2 broccolini. Fold in half and press down to stick. Flip quesadilla to brown second side.
- Repeat with remaining tortilla and filling.
- Heat balsamic vinegar in a small skillet or saucepan until reduces in half and thickens. Drizzle over tortillas.
You can also make these into grilled cheese sandwiches, using bread instead of the tortillas. Yum!
Per serving: 251 kcal, 28 g carbs, 11 g fat, 6 g protein, 768 mg sodium, 4 g sugar