March is all about carrots! These veggie staples are often taken for granted, the hidden flavor gem in many soups, stews, salads, and broths. But they are also stars in their own right, full of vitamins, minerals, and crunchy, satisfying goodness.
In a single 52 calorie cup, carrots contain 12 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of protein, and zero fat. With minimal sodium and sugars, they also contain a whopping 428% DV of vitamin A, 21% DV of vitamin K, 14% DV of fiber, and 12% DV of potassium, among with significant amounts of numerous other vitamins and minerals. ¹
Thanks to the heavy dose of vitamins A and K, carrots are ideal for promoting healthy vision. Their phytochemical composition may also play a role in cancer prevention, blood sugar regulation, and supporting proper immune function. The presence of both soluble and insoluble fiber aids in digestive health and supporting healthy gut bacteria. Found in a wide range of colors from red to orange to purple, carrots can provide both visual appeal and nutritional benefit to any dish.
Give carrots a new spin with one of these creative and flavor filled recipes:
- Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal // Oh She Glows
- Carrot Quinoa Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies // Love and Lemons
- Creamy Thai Carrot Soup with Basil // Minimalist Baker
- Roasted Carrot and Avocado Salad with Curried Chickpeas // Hot for Food
- Vegan Black Pepper Mac and Cheese with Potato Carrot Cheese Sauce // Vegan Richa