I have not planned a menu or cooked a meal more complicated than spaghetti since Thanksgiving. Our holiday meal gave us enough leftovers for almost a week. And then I went to Nashville for work. This week is final exams for the husband and more traveling for me. And then Christmas will be here. It’s crazy how busy things are getting. And it won’t be slowing down anytime soon. So if I go MIA for a few weeks at a time, it means I’m not home to make or plan anything to write about. Which is sad for me, considering cooking is a stress reliever for me. I’m hoping to have time to keep creating, but we’ll see!
I did find the time to make a fancier lunch than a green monster today. Hallelujah!
Pomegranate Wheatberry Salad
- 1 c dry wheatberries
- 2 c spinach
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/3 c pomegranate arils
- 1/4 c chopped pecans
- 1 T hemp seeds
- 1/4 c orange juice
- 1 T ume plum vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil 3 cups of water. Add wheatberries and simmer for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Chiffonade spinach and add to serving bowl. Drain wheatberries and toss with spinach until the heat of the berries slightly wilt the spinach.
- Add celery and pomegranate. Mix orange juice, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper together and mix into salad until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Toast pecans and hemp seeds lightly in a dry skillet. Toss into salad and combine all ingredients well.
- Serve warm or chill overnight to let flavors meld.