After long weeks of eating out while traveling, all I seem to want is fresh, raw food when I am home. We’ve gone through a lot of salad greens and fresh spring produce this week. My favorite meal from this week was this delicious salad. Crisp, roasted asparagus and juicy, ripe strawberries on top of spinach and spicy arugula. Yum!
Asparagus and Strawberry Salad
- 2 c asparagus, ends removed and diced in half
- 1/2 c chickpeas (plain or roasted)
- 1 c broccoli slaw (optional)
- 6 ripe strawberries
- 2 c arugula
- 2 c baby spinach
- 4 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse arugula and spinach and divide into two salad bowls
- Optional: Toss chickpeas with a dash of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of olive oil and apple cider vinegar. Roast at 350 for 30 minutes or until crispy and golden.
- Slice strawberries and add to salad, along with chickpeas and slaw (optional, but it adds a nice crunch)
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper over asparagus. Roast at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
- Make dressing by whisking together oil, vinegar, mustard, agave, salt and pepper.
- Add warm asparagus to salad and toss with dressing to coat.
Quick Tip: I’ve discovered a super easy tossed salad for potlucks or a side to dinner is spring greens or spinach tossed with a bag of broccoli slaw. Its like getting a package of pre-made iceberg lettuce salad mix, but heartier and full of more nutrition. I now always keep a bag on hand to add crunch and extra veggies to our daily salads.