3 football games and 3 baking projects in 1 Saturday. At least the baking turned out successfully!
First baking task was to turn bananas into bread before they became trash. I subbed buckwheat flour for half of the whole wheat this time, and it turned out pretty good!
Next up was PUMPKIN. I got swindled into making cookies for 200 MBA students, so I tested out my favorite recipe from last fall.
- 1 T chia seeds + 3 T cold water
- 1 c sucanat
- 1 c vegan butter, at room temperature
- 1 c canned pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix chia seeds and water and set aside.
- Cream vegan butter and sucanat in a mixing bowl. Add pumpkin, vanilla, and chia mixture, and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt. Slowly add dry mix to pumpkin mixture and stir until just blended.
- Fold in raisins and chocolate chips.
- Scoop 1 T of dough onto baking sheet for each cookie. Gently press down to flatten (cookies will not spread out when baking).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Cookies will be just slightly golden and still soft. Let cool completely before eating for best flavor.
To make Gluten-Free: Use 1 1/2 c gluten free all purpose flour blend of choice + 1/2 c almond meal. Cookies may come out a little softer than original recipe, but will taste just as good!
Per serving (1 cookie): 117 calories, 15 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat, 1 g protein, 96 mg sodium, 9 g sugar
My last task of the day was a birthday surprise. 26.2 miles with the birthday girl next Sunday!