I always seem to have sweet potatoes in my fridge and never have anything different to do with them so they turn up roasted or baked and topped with chili. And when we moved, I realized my never-ending container of arborio rice was in desperate need of being used. Now that things have finally settled down, I am in a work/school routine, at least for the next month, and we are finally getting some furniture (!!!) I realized it’s about time to combine all those sweet potatoes with my favorite food in the whole world. There is seriously nothing more calming or comforting than stirring a creamy batch of risotto on the stove. And although I make some variation of risotto all the time (see here, here, here, and here) I also realized that I never make it for guests. I just hoard it all to myself. This batch is definitely going to be shared.
Creamy, starchy sweet potatoes and classic risotto make for a perfect pre-long run carb loading meal. Topped with crunchy sprouts, protein packed field roast, and a handful of tart cranberries, it makes an easy complete cool weather bowl of goodness.
- 1/2 c cashews, soaked in water for 2 hrs
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 T +1 tsp olive oil
- 2 T vegan butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 c arborio rice
- 1/4 c white wine
- 4 c vegetable stock
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp parsley
- 1 field roast sausage, diced and cooked
- 1/2 c Brussels sprouts, roasted
- 1 T dried cranberries
- Blend soaked cashews in 1/2 c fresh water until smooth. Set aside.
- Bake 1 sweet potato in the oven until soft, about 1 hr. Dice the second potato into small cubes. Toss with 1 tsp olive oil and roast 30 minutes, until brown and crispy.
- Melt vegan butter and 1 T olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add rice to pan and toast until rice starts to brown. Add wine to deglaze, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add stock 1/2 c at a time, stirring often, until all is absorbed and rice is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Scoop out flesh from baked potato and add to the rice. Stir in cashew cream, nutritional yeast, and spices.
- Top with with pan friend field roast, Brussels sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes and cranberries to serve.
Per serving: 378 kcal, 46 g carbs, 15 g fat, 14 g protein, 1133 mg sodium, 9 g sugar