For those of you who hate Brussels sprouts, you have either 1. only eaten them boiled until they’re bitter and mushy or 2. never actually eaten one. I was one of the latter until last year. And now I cannot get enough of them. These miniature cabbages get sweet and caramelized when you roast them. Completely delicious, with nothing more than salt and pepper to season them. I swear you’ll like them. I even got my family to eat them at Christmas.
This recipe is so easy, I’m not even sure I can call it a recipe. But its easy, delicious, and cheap. And the flavors are so good together.
Baked Sweet Potato with Cranberries and Brussels Sprouts
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 8 small Brussels sprouts
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 2 T coconut oil
- 2 T Earth balance
- salt and pepper, to taste
- toasted chopped walnuts, for garnish
- Wash the potatoes and poke holes in them with a fork. Cook, either in the microwave on high for 10 minutes or in the oven at 350 for 1 hour.
- Heat coconut oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Trim the Brussels sprouts and slice them in half. Place cut side down in the hot saute pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium, and cover the saute pan. Let cook for 8 minutes or until tender.
- To assemble, cut open potato and add 1 T Earth Balance, salt and pepper to taste. Top with Brussels sprouts, cranberries, and walnuts.
Another super simple, but delicious and nutrient-packed dinner!