I’ve been on a serious salad kick this week. The warm weather plus the delicious variety of veggies now appearing in our CSA delivery makes me just pile whatever I can on a bed of lettuce and call it a meal.
Also, my meat and potatoes husband has decided to try out the paleo diet. So instead of making one meal and adding meat to his, we’re now all out making two meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Thankfully, he’s completely taking charge of his meal plan, shopping, prepping, and cooking, so all I have to suffer through is the bacon smell in the morning. And I no longer have to consider what he will eat when I make our meals. I can make whatever I feel like. So salad it is.
This was by far the best idea for a salad topper I’ve ever had. I made blueberry chia syrup about a month ago, and there was about a tablespoon left stuck to a jar in the fridge that I figured needed to be eaten or tossed. So I thought why not combine my go-to chickpea marinade to the jar and see what happened. My only regret is it didn’t make more.
Spring Salad with Blueberry Chili Balsamic Tempeh
- 1/4 block tempeh, sliced in half
- 1 T blueberry syrup, jam, or mashed fresh berries
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar, divided
- 2 T balsamic vinegar, divided
- 1 T + 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Penzey’s Arizona Dreaming, or chili powder
- 2 cups spinach, mixed greens, or butter lettuce
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 c snap peas
- 1 small avocado
- 1 T dried cranberries
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Place tempeh slices in a shallow dish and microwave or steam briefly to soften.
- Whisk together blueberry syrup, 1 T balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp olive oil, cinnamon, Arizona Dreaming, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over tempeh, turning to coat. Let sit and marinate for 30 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Heat a small nonstick pan over medium heat. Add tempeh and marinade to pan. Cook, watching closely, until marinade thickens around tempeh, and slices are browned.
- Wash and tear lettuce into pieces in a salad bowl.
- Dice veggies and avocado and add to lettuce with cranberries.
- Combine 1 T balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 T olive oil, mustard, and a dash of salt and pepper together in a jar. Seal and shake well to combine. Toss with salad.
- Top with warm tempeh and serve.