Since the husband had a conference one day last week and was going to be home late, I had planned on eating leftovers for dinner. But then I discovered the bag of butternut squash ravioli I had picked in amazement up at Whole Foods a while back. I knew I had a recipe somewhere for homemade butternut squash ravioli that I had never had the time to actually make, so this was a good alternative. So when I found the bag in the freezer, I went looking for the recipe to find the sauce I needed to make to pair with it. Lucky for me, it was nowhere to be found. So I looked it up on myrecipes.com and tried to come up with an alternative. What ended up on my plate was pure heaven.
Butternut Squash Ravioli with Cranberry-Sage Brown Butter Sauce
- 1 package frozen whole wheat butternut squash ravioli
- 2 T Earth Balance
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 c walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- Heat a pot of water on the stove, and cook ravioli according to package directions, usually 7-10 minutes. Drain.
- Toast walnuts in dry skillet for a couple of minutes. Add Earth Balance. Once melted, add sage and cranberries. Cook for a few minutes until butter browns. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss with ravioli. Grate with a little vegan parmesan, if desired.
- Enjoy a mouthful of deliciousness!
This is probably enough for two, depending on the size of the package of ravioli you get. Mine was pretty small, and I ended up eating the whole thing anyway – it was that good. You can double the sauce ingredients to serve 4 if you have more ravioli.