I’ve been making variations on this recipe for years. It started out with baked potatoes that we would top with veggies and some sort of sauce. Then I started scooping out the baked potato flesh and making twice baked potatoes, mixing the veggies and sauce into the potato before baking it again and serving. Then I tossed out the potato skin and just went straight for the mashed potato filling on a plate with the veggie and sauce toppings. Similar to polenta dishes that have veggie and protein additions, this dish is rustic, hearty, simple comfort food. And for those of you who aren’t fans of turnips, cooking and mashing them in with the potatoes adds a richness and depth of flavor without actually having to taste turnip. This also works well for other white root vegetables such as rutabagas or parsnips.
The veggies I used here are from what came in my CSA box. Any combination of veggies you have on hand will work. Because almost any vegetable tastes better when its roasted. Little effort, maximum flavor! For texture, top with a little crunch from pepitas or almonds. Or add a little cheesy flavor with nutritional yeast. My personal favorite is a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to bring out the rich sweetness of the roasted veggies.
- 3 c yellow potatoes
- 1 1/2 c turnips
- 1 c broccoli
- 1 c mushrooms
- 1/2 c winter squash
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 c vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar, for serving (optional)
- Small dice the potatoes and turnips. Place in a large stockpot and fill with water until veggies are just covered. Season with salt and heat over high heat until boiling. Cook until tender. Drain and rinse.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Roughly chop broccoli, mushrooms, and squash. Toss with 1 T olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until browned and softened.
- While veggies roast, mash potatoes and turnips with vegetable broth, garlic, nutritional yeast, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spread turnip potato mash evenly in the bottom of each bowl or plate. Top with roasted veggies. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired.
Per serving: 363 calories, 59 g carbohydrate, 14 g fat, 10 g protein, 539 mg sodium, 8 g sugar