Off to warmer temperatures this week, assuming my flight gets out as scheduled with round 2 of Chiberia on its way! Instead of making a menu, I get to enjoy some of my favorite eats in sunny Orlando. Not only is this my third trip to the Sunshine state in the past three months, it is probably the 10th time I’ve been to the Orlando area in the past five years. Thankfully the convention center area has some decent restaurants, so I am not relying on protein bars, coffee, and iceberg lettuce salads all day.
One of my favorite websites for looking up veg-friendly restaurants is Happy Cow. And while there are thankfully quite a few options in the Orlando area, not that many are within walking distance of where I will be working and staying. Here are some of my favorite standbys:
- Funky Monkey Wine Bar – not a lot of veg options but a great wine list and usually salad and decent veggie sushi. I love the atmosphere, so it’s always worth a visit.
- Cuba Libre – sometimes a perfect meal can be as simple as plantains and black beans.
- Bob Marley’s – Caribbean classics including spinach and sweet potato patties and yucca fries.
- Cafe Tu Tu Tango – I’ve actually not been here before, but falafel on any menu makes me excited. Especially with pineapple tahini.
- Uno Chicago Grill – yes, a pizza chain, but they have a nine-grain gluten-free crust and lots of veggie toppings to make a hearty pizza that makes you not even miss the cheese.
Between decent restaurants and the army of protein bars I’ve packed (just in case!), I should be set for a fun food week in hot and humid Florida. And then jet-setting off to another warm and sunny city. I’ve never been more thankful for a break from these absurdly freezing temperatures! As much as I love snow, its time for a little summer.